This post may contains affiliate links. If you use these links to buy something we may earn a commission. Thanks.
It’s summer here in the Northern Hemisphere and many of us enjoy spending it at the beach, which would be even more awesome driving a classic beach-ready 1960s Volkswagen Beetle like the one LEGO just announced. Well, the real version would be easier to drive.
Coming to shop.lego.com and LEGO Brand Stores for VIP members on July 14, set 10252 will take its place along side the Volkswagen T1 Camper Van and the Mini Cooper in the realistic models that LEGO has released.
This is the second time LEGO has created a Beetle set, but this one is undoubtedly better in my mind, and I haven’t even touched it yet. The original is set 10187 and looks “old-fashioned” to my eyes, when compared with the new one. Released just 8 years ago almost to the day, comparing 10187 to the new 10252 shows how far LEGO has come in terms of engineering custom pieces and colors. The new set is curvy in the way it should be and the original is blocky in all the wrong ways.
The new Beetle model is beach ready and includes a custom brick-built surfboard and cooler with drinks to make the day perfect. Full details are below in the official press release, followed by the LEGO Designer Video.
10252 Volkswagen Beetle
Ages 16+. 1,167 pieces.
US $99.99 – CA $129.99 – DE 89.99€ – UK £69.99 – DK 799.00 DKK
*Euro pricing varies by country. Please visit shop.LEGO.com for regional pricing.
Head for the beach with the VW Beetle!
Celebrate the iconic VW Beetle with this awesome LEGO® Creator Expert reproduction. This detailed model comprises a number of special features and elements that help recreate the distinctive Beetle characteristics, including an azure-blue color scheme, curved fenders, flat windshield, VW logo, and an authentic 4-cylinder air-cooled engine and fuel tank. The accessible interior features beige-colored, forward-tilting seats, dashboard and steering wheel, and the roof-mounted surfboard and a cooler box can be removed. This model has been designed to provide a challenging and rewarding building experience with a touch of nostalgia.
- 1960s VW Beetle with surfer theme features an array of brick-built details including an azure-blue color scheme, curved fenders, white rims with distinctive hubcaps, round headlights, wing-mounted turn signals and opening hood, trunk and doors.
- Use the included stickers to choose 1 of 4 license plates.
- Remove the cooler box and surfboard from the roof rails.
- Tilt the rear seat forward to access the storage space with fabric beach towel.
- Lift the hood to access the spare tire and fuel tank.
- Open the trunk to reveal the authentic, 4-cylinder air-cooled engine.
- Open the doors or remove the roof section to access the detailed beige-colored interior with dashboard, steering wheel and tiltable front and back seats.
- Special elements include a round tile with printed VW logo, arched fender elements and an updated windshield design.
- VW Beetle including surfboard and cooler measures over 11” (15cm) high, 10” (29cm) long and 4” (12cm) wide
10252 Volkswagen Beetle Designer Video
Consider supporting Brick Brains by purchasing your LEGO from LEGO.com using our affiliate links.
We get a small percentage of the purchase total and it doesn’t change the price you pay.